Trumbull Brownies Global Action Award
Posted: Apr 8, 2014
Trumbull Brownies from Troop 35251 have chosen hunger as their topic for their Global Action
Project. This project is a seven part project outlined below:
1) Girls first needed to learn about hunger and did this through inviting the 5th grade TAG
students to our meeting to present their research on hunger in Trumbull and CT. In addition, we
did computer research, where we watched videos from the CT Food Bank and World Hunger
2) The girls voted to spend some of the troop money on groceries to donate to the Trumbull Food
Pantry. The girls donated $75 of their troop money (earned this year) and went shopping.
During our trip we learned how to spot a sale and how to use the price per pound to get the best
deals! We also enjoyed using the bar code scanners and Stop and Shop donated an extra $25 to
the troop for their shopping. The girls also earned their financial Try- It “Giving Back”.
3) The girls are currently conducting a food drive at Middlebrook, where there will be a box in
the lobby for 2 weeks. All support is much appreciated!
4) The girls will take a field trip after school on April 25th to the Trumbull Food Pantry and learn
about the town service and deliver the food they collected and purchased.
5) The girls will be traveling to the United Nations where they will learn about the Millennium
Goal at the UN for ending World Hunger, as they take the children’s tour during April break.
6) The girls learned about the need in Middlebrook for a breakfast program and several of the
girls joined the TAG student initiative to write letters to the Assistant Superintendent to support
the securing of grant money to make this program a reality in their school.
7) The girls will be making dog biscuits at our April 27th meeting to donate to the Animal Shelter
in Trumbull, as we don’t want our furry friends to be hungry either.
See more Girl Scout Memories
[ Back ]