Checkin' In (Creating Your Own Nonprofit)
Activity Objective: Girls learn to balance
Toward Leadership Outcomes:
Through this activity, girls will:
- Seek challenges—Girls develop positive attitudes toward learning,
seek opportunities for expanding their knowledge and skills, set challenging
goals for themselves, and take appropriate risks. (Discover)
- 2 min. Introduction (Talking Points)
- 30-40 min. Checkin’ In
- 5-15 min. Reflection/Discussion
- Paper (or journals) and pens or pencils (enough for each girl)
- Copy of girls’ Business Plan/Budget (from Financial Flair Activity 9)
- Read over the entire activity before meeting with girls.
» Introduction (Talking Points) (2 minutes)
- Say something like this: “To have a successful business, it is, of
course, not enough to write a good budget. You must also keep to
that budget. Today we are going to check in and see how we are
doing ‘on the books.’”
» Checkin' In (30-40 minutes)
- Distribute pens or pencils.
- As a group, review the Budget section of the girls’ Business Plan.
Add up receipts, crunch the numbers, and so on.
» Reflection Discussion (5-15 minutes)
- What is the financial state of your business?
Do you need to make adjustments in your plan?