As many of you are aware, the Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) has shared increased precautionary measures during the current outbreak of the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus. Girl Scouts of Connecticut (GSOFCT) has taken the advisory of DPH under consideration and is sharing safety tips to reduce the risk of exposure.
For individuals renting GSOFCT outdoor facilities please consider these recommendations and protect yourselves accordingly. Be advised that you should limit your exposure outside at dusk and dawn when mosquitos are most active. Take advantage of building and tents, when possible, to further limit exposure during those periods.
If you are planning to venture outside, please take the following precautions to reduce exposure to the EEE virus:
- Wear long pants and shirts outdoors.
- Apply insect repellents that contain the active ingredient DEET, or other U.S. Environmental Protection Agency-registered product to exposed skin or clothing, and always follow the manufacturer’s directions for use.
- Avoid being outside during dawn and dusk hours.
- Utilize mosquito netting.
- Empty and remove anything that collects water.
- Avoid standing water.
Please be safe, and share this information with family and friends who may be unaware. For more information, please refer to the following: